Thursday, January 9, 2014

The Best Peanutty Squares & Green Juice

I've probably shared a similar recipe on here before, but I had to share this particular protein square concoction because it is definitely, the best to date. Perhaps it's the ratio of the ingredients or maybe I'm just a sucker for anything that requires peanut butter. Regardless, these will not last long.



Dry Ingredients 
1.5-cups of rolled oats
1/2-cup of almonds
1/4-cup ground flax
1/4-cup sliced almonds
1/4-cup sunflower seeds
1/4-cup cocoa



Wet Ingredients 
1/2-cup all natural crunchy peanut butter
1/4-cup organic honey
1/2-cup unsweetened vanilla almond breeze




Directions
1. Add all dry ingredients and mix in medium bowl
2. Add wet ingredients to dry mix and combine all (mix thoroughly)
3. Line a cooking pan with cellophane and spread/flatten mixture in pan
4. Let sit in freezer for 2-3 hours
5. Remove from freezer and cut in to squares
6. Eat, share & enjoy! ;)


While I'm stopping in to talk about deliciousness, on Monday night, I also whipped up a 1200-ml batch of green juice. Omg. Green juice. I always forget how much I love the stuff when I take the time to prepare a batch on the fly.

I decided to start juicing when I was introduced to LizzieFit and read through her posts on juicing. Seriously guys, it's worth your while to check out her blog, as she is a fantastic writer and knows a hell'of a lot about juicing.

Lizzie and her boyfriend, Ryan recently completed a 3-day cleanse, and by the sounds of juicing mixed with hot yoga, she's feeling pretty detoxified (she has also completed 2, 7-day juice cleanse)

After reading all of her posts, I decided to buy my very own juicer and give it a go. I purchased the Breville Ikon and it was such a great purchase.

Inspired by Lizzie, I also downloaded Jason Vale's App for cleansing. I have yet to complete a 7-day cleanse, but have it on my radar for the future (sooner than later).

 




Note: For those of you who would like to attempt the Juice Master Diet, Jason Vale gives a complete schedule, recipe guide and even a grocery list. Like seriously, it doesn't get much easier than that.

Jason has some amazing recipes on there but I was lacking some ingredients from the mix. It was 11-pm on Monday night so I kinda just went with what I had.




My Mix
6 Granny Smith apples (home grown so they were very very small)
1/2 field cucumber
1 bag of spinach
2 lime
1 pineapple
1 avocado


In total, I got 1200-ml of green juice. I divided the juice amongst 5 mason jars so I had a serving for each day of the remainder of this week (I ended up drinking 2 yesterday alone).

I've heard some mixed reivews on juicing as you throw out a lot of produce and waste the fibre. As requested, I've done a price breakdown from my latest juicing experience.

Price Breakdown
apples - Free (David's Mother)
field cucumber - $1.69/one (Dominion)
1 bag of spinach - $2.99 (Costco)
2 lime - 2/$0.99 (Dominion)
1 pineapple - $2.99 (Costco)
1 avocado - $1.50 (Dominion)

In total, it cost me about $10.50 (not including the apples of course) when juicing, you generally add the mix to a blender with ice. So though 1200-ml might not sound like a lot for 5-days, when blended, you're getting a large, delicious and satisfying drink!

O, and did I mention that it's packed with nutrients and health benefits?

Note: After juicing, it is crucial to drink the mixture as soon as possible. As soon as the fruit(s) and vegetable(s) are broken down, they start to lose nutrients. If you are planning on making a large batch for 3-4 days, ensure you use air tight mason jars to conceal the juice and trap in as many nutrients as possible.


Questions
1. What is your favorite cookie recipe?
2. Have you ever tried juicing?


If you have any questions on recipes or juicing, you can always reach me at minusthirtythreeplease@gmail.com


Now raise your glass and drink green juice! :)

1 comment:

  1. You're the best! I can't even begin to tell you how amazing it makes me feel to hear I've inspired you with my little blog :) I love you for reading and I love having a fellow Atlantic Canadian to follow as well!

    I'll tell you though.. it really drives me crazy when people talk about the high cost of juicing. I want so badly to show them how much money they could save if they swapped their Pepsi, store bought fruit juice, Gatorade, and other empty calorie drinks for fresh juice! Not to mention the health benefits... countless!

    Can't wait for your upcoming 7 day cleanse! I'm planning mine for June or July :)

    ReplyDelete