Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Halifax Getaway - Final Day

 
Sunday started out with a 10-am wake-up and a trot to the downtown Goodlife for some mid-morning exercising! I decided to skip a pre-gym breakfast because I ate quite a bit after my workout Saturday night.


protein cake with peanut butter

1 apple, 1/3 banana, 1/2 grapefruit (I actually didn't eat the
grape fruit after as I was really full)

I had set my alarm for 8:30-am but had been up late reading a new blog of interest and my legs were really sore from my 4.0-miler the night before.



I actually got such a good workout in. I did a 3.0-mile run at a comfortable pace.


Then a 35-minute strength training workout to follow. I was actually dripping sweat everywhere (tmi).

  1. 55 Air Squats
  2. 20 Smith Machine Back Shrugs (75-lbs)
  3. 50 Crunches
  4. 10 Side Laterals (12-lbs)
  5. 10 Bench Tricep Dips
  6. 10 Curls (30-lbs)

I did this workout x3 times, followed by Day 2 of the 30-Day Ab Challenge and 30-Day Squat Challenge



After my workout, I headed to the apartment, met up with A and Ed and then we headed to Pete's Fruitique for some breakfast.

 
The fresh vegetables were actually mouth watering. Everything looked so refreshing.
 
I wanted a green juice but the juicer was down so I opted for blended berries with vanilla protein powder.

I look like a little kid here. Pretty sure I asked Ed if I looked cute..
..He obviously said yes

Pete's have a station for salads, paninis and smoothies/juices. I actually fell in love with this place.


The girl working gave me the extras, too.
Yup, I drank it!

Ed was leaving at 2-pm so after breakfast it was time to head back. Allan and Ed went on while I made a quick stop at MEC (Mountain Equipment Co-op) for a couple of purchases.

Now I wanna hike hike hike!

I actually bought more than this but it may or not be surprises!

O, and a large duffel that Samantha asked me to pick her up.

The MEC store in Halifax is actually amazing! You could spend quite a bit of time just wandering around the place.

After my little shop, I rushed back to the apt and joined Tiffany for a ride to the airport with Ed. On our way back, at my request, we made a stop at Liquid Gold.

 
Amazing! You could sample all sorts of cooking oils and vinegarettes
with toothpicks and tiny bread squares.

I was on a mission to get a Tuscan oil but it ended up being the only oil that was sold out (guess it's just that good?)
 

 
 
My Oils of choice
chipotle infused olive oil
organic garlic infused olive oil
blood orange fused olive oil


My Vinegars of Choice
maple balsamic vinegar
blueberry balsamic vinegar
fig balsamic vinegar
dark chocolate balsamic vinegar
coconut balsamic vinegar
pumpkin spice balsamic vinegar
honey ginger white balsamic vinegar
 
The lady at the counter said that she has gone through multiple bottles of mustard so I went with a bottle, as well as some bbq sauce. Yum!
 
 

For supper we headed to Sushi Nami. We ate there last year, and like our previous lunch at Moxi's Bar & Grill, we were seated at the same table as last year (not sure but we got a little excited over this).


I went with the combination of california rolls, spicy salmon (my fav), tuna and terriyaki rolls. Holy yum!

After sushi, A and I were both in the mood for some tea so off to David's Tea we went.



It was really nice outside so we just trotted back to the apartment and sipped away.

When we got back, Stephen met up with his parents and Allan, Tiffany and I decided to punch out a little workout to make up for our indulgences throughout the weekend.

We started with a 10-minute cardio warm-up




And then we did an all-over body workout which consisted a series of 6 exercises completed 3 separate times.

  1. 10 Lateral Raises
  2. 25 Air Squats
  3. 25 Air Weighted Squats
  4. 1:00 of Plank
  5. 15 Lunges (per leg)
  6. 15 Burpees

Lateral Raises

Air Squats, Weighted Air Squats
Lunges, Plank
we went with the crossfit style burpee


We completed 1 whole set at an average of 12-minutes/set. Overall we did this 3 times over. There was quite the sweat worked up!

44 of strength/stretching. Cardio
was timed separately.

We then did some stretching and shook it off.


*check out the red shirt dude in the back that must have thought we were nuts!

sweaty sal there

Allan and I only had an hour until we needed to check in for our flight back to Newfoundland so we went back upstairs, cleaned up, grabbed a bite to eat and were off.


I refilled my cup with hot water (same bag) and made an
oatmeal protein pancake


can't wait to workout with Tiffany again at Christmas :)

Overall, it's safe to say we had a great weekend! We didn't drink our faces off but we still drank. We didn't eat everything in sight but we still indulged.We caught up on sleep yet still stayed up late socializing. We exercised, shopped, lounged laughed and enjoyed the company of each other.




Thanks, Tiffany & Stephen!


How was your weekend?

Did anyone go over the top eating and drinking this weekend?

What's your favourite type of exercise?

Do you make time to exercise while vacationing?

Leave something for me or get in touch at minusthirtythreeplease@gmail.com

2 comments:

  1. Ahh I am feeling a little nostalgic (and a teeny bit jealous) reading about your Halifax adventures. I love liquid gold - the pear olive oil is amazing on fruit/nut topped salads. And I love MEC and David's Tea! Did you do any damage at Lululemon? I can't be trusted on Spring Garden Road.... haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness, 542.00 at Lulu. Oops? But I mean atleast it'll enthus me a little more for working out, right? haha or so I tell myself!

    Omg, Liquid Gold was so interesting! I spent 70.00 there so I'm pretty excited to try out the vinegarettes and oils.
    I've had the maple every day this week....

    ReplyDelete