Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Eating Clean, Green & Making a Routine







So I've been getting a lot of messages lately concerning what food(s) should verses should not be consumed. I'm definitely no expert in nutrition and/or overall health,but I'd consider my knowledge a little above average. I only say this way because A. I'm a food addict, (hollaaaaa)  B. I read health and fitness articles every day and (C) I'm obsessed with healthy living blogs. Some of these writers get paid to write about the good vs. bad. They know. I learn.

Anyhow, I decided to compile a list of some 'typicals' for a healthy diet. Opinions vary but facts are facts. I am in no way trying to insult someone elses diet as I know mine is certainly not perfect.

Like I said, it's just a list. It's something to go by, try out and find what works for you. Trial and error, right? I don't eat all of the foods listed but I definitely consume a vast majority when I'm not testing new diet ways to improve my lifestyle.



I am a firm believer of eating...

  1. complex carbohydrates > simple carbohydrates
  2. natural sugars > refined sugars
  3. lean protein
  4. healthy fats


I'm not gonna ramble on and on as I'm going to assume that you know most of this already, and like I mentioned, I'm no expert. But with that being said, I wanted to go into a little more detail of each.

Complex carbohydrates are chemically chained to give you fiber, vitamins and nutrients,  whereas Simple Carbohydrates are refined sugar with little to no nutritional value.

Natural sugars are produced 'naturally' in fruits and vegetables. Though they take longer to break down than artificial sugar, they lead to a a more regulated blood sugar level. Refined sugars, can be found in candy, chocolate, icing etc (again, nothing you probably don't already know).

Lean Protein

Healthy Fats - "For years, nutritionists and doctors have preached that a low-fat diet is the key to losing weight, managing cholesterol, and preventing health problems. But more than just the amount of fat, it's the types of fat you eat that really matter. Bad fats increase cholesterol and your risk of certain diseases, while good protect your heart and support overall health." [source].



The Examples

1 (a) Complex Carbohydrates

A. In Vegetable Form
  • spinach
  • turnip greens
  • lettuce
  • water cress
  • zucchini
  • asparagus
  • artichokes
  • cabbage
  • celery
  • cucumbers
  • broccoli
  • brussels sprouts
  • eggplant
  • onions

B. In Wheat Form
  • whole barley
  • buckwheat
  • buckwheat bread
  • oar bran bread
  • oatmeal
  • oat bran cereal
  • muesli
  • wild rice
  • brown rice
  • multi-grain bread
  • pinto beans

C. In Fruit Form
  • grapefruit
  • apples
  • prunes
  • apricots
  • pears
  • plums
  • strawberries
  • oranges
  • yams


1 (b) Simple Carbohydrates

Foods Containing:
  • table sugar
  • corn syrup
  • fruit juice
  • candy
  • cake
  • bread made with white flour
  • pasta made with white flour
  • pop
  • candy
  • baked goods (again, white flour)
  • packaged cereals

3. Lean Meats
  • chicken
  • turkey (whole or ground)
  • lean ground beef
  • pork loin
  • pork chop
  • steak 'rounds'
  • sirloin steaks
  • lamb
  • fish

4. Healthy Fats
  • omega-3 (flax seeds, pumpkin seeds, fish etc)
  • oils (olive oil, grape seed oil, coconut oil)
  • coconut
  • avocado
  • Nuts (almonds, hazelnuts, walnurs, cashews)



The Victoria List
 
A list I try my darnest to abide by (who's perfect though, right?) 




TYPICAL BREAKFAST
whole eggs
egg whites
fruit (I love all fruit but if you're trying to monitor fruit consumption, stick to the berries or grapefruit)
turkey bacon (vs. regular bacon)
whole grain oats

I try to avoid
yogurts containing sugars (even flavored greek yogurts are packed with sugar in each serving)
sugared cereals (even organic cereals are packed in sugars and more difficult to digest)
store bought granola (make your own)
hash browns
sausages (what animal is a sausage? Like, really)
breads (debatable by most )
bacon

VEGETABLES
spinach
romaine/iceberg lettuce or mixed greens
brussels sprouts
onion (all types)
cucumber
zucchini
cauliflower
sweet potato
broccoli

I Try to avoid
canned vegetables
canned soups
dried, bagged vegetables
baby carrots (I mean, they won't kill you .. and I'm guilty of eating them but they have a substantial amt of sugar)

MEATS
chicken breast (atleast 19% poultry)
turkey
steak (moderation)
pork loin
pork chop
ground turkey
fish

I Try to avoid
bacon
ham
sausages
salamis
any processed meats
battered chicken breast
chicken nuggets, strips, burgers
hamburgers
hot dogs
ribs

DRESSINGS
avocado (mashed up)
balsamics vinegarettes
calorie-wise (still watch the sugar)

Try to avoid
creamy dressing
mayo


RULES I TRY TO LIVE BY
  • The shorter the shelf-life, the better the food
  • Avoid soft drinks - carbonated drinks (diet or not) are (A) packed in sugars (B) packed in aspartame and (3) will cause your body to retain water and swell
  • Avoid salt - salt dehydrates you, it is terrible for your skin and if you're anything like my mother and I, you'll swell up like a beach ball
  • If you can't pronounce it, don't eat it (the classic rule)
  • Eat a piece of fruit every morning to start your day out with that refreshing feeling


  • Drink water before bed rather than eating (unless you're honestly hungry) 
  • Drink a minimum of 2-L of water
  • Drink lemon and green teas
  • Eat every 2.5-3 hours
  • Portion control - I've always struggled with portion control, majorly. I weigh by poultry  because 9-oz of any meat is just unnecessary. I range from 3oz-5oz pending the time of day
  • Always add a vegetable to your mix (I have a vegetable with most meals)
  • Make sure your chicken is atleast 18% poultry (doesn't always say)
  • Try to choose meat that is atleast 90% lean
  • Eat  spinach, romaine, ice berg (or some form of leafy vegetable) daily


  • When buying ground meats, go for 'extra lean' (it makes a world of difference in fat drainage)
  • Stop calorie counting. It's good vs. not-so-good. 'A calorie is a calorie is a calorie' - FALSE! (again, in my opinion)

TID BITS THAT HELP ME

  • Always have gum on hand - more times than not, I'm just bored. Chew gum vs. Unnecessary food
  • Leave mouthwash at your desk - when I'm irritable and go for that hand to mouth habit, I gurgle mouthwash because (A) I know I'm not really hungry and (B) who wants to eat with a minty fresh breath, right? Right.
  • I meal plan (off and on)
  • I don't grocery shop hungry  
  • I look up motivational quotes daily

*I've highlighted what foods I consider a staple in my diet

I'm sure there is much that I have missed as I'm still learning on a daily basis.

Anyways, like I said, I'm no nutritionist, just a little blogger trying to better her lifestyle :)



Questions
  1. What are your favourite types of fruits and vegetables?
  2. Do you life rules with regards to eating?
  3. How often do you eat?
  4. Are you a snacker?


Links

here, here, here & here ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment