Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Fogo Adventure - Day 2


We woke bright and early on Sunday because we had reservations at the Inn for 9-am. We wanted to give ourselves an extra half of an hour to check out that artist studio in Tilting that we had missed on our first day due to weather.


This actually looks like it could be a post card.
Definitely a framer!

We stayed up pretty late the night before and just drank our tea and read our books so we didn't get as much as sleep as we could of. . . but it didn't matter cause we were awake with excitement for our fancy breakfast!

Before heading to breakfast, we had a little trot to the studio. Cool, right? Artists come here in the summer and just chill by the ocean and paint. Imagine how cool it would be to hang out and blog there, right?






We headed to the parking lot of the hotel where we were kindly chauffeured to the hotel itself.  You actually cannot just drive up. You have to be accompanied by an employee. It was first thing in the morning so we got to drive up with the general manager.

As soon as we stepped foot in the Inn, we were both in awe. It was absolutely magnificent.


 
The library
 
Wouldn't it be amazing to just sit, sip and read in this place?
 
Relaxing area outside of the dining room






The beautiful light fixtures
The view from the eating area was incredible.




Enjoying a lovely coffee


or 2 (quite the tired eyes I have here)

Even the bathrooms were simple yet beautiful. I definitely felt the need to snap a few pictures.


 
 
 
 
Original tile work
Once again, we sat with our books but we didn't pick them up once. The atmosphere was actually captivating. We drank our signature coffee and were greeted with some complimentary starters.


so many delicious danishes and muffins


I tried the protein square and it was absolutely delicious!
Wish I knew what they used to make this.

 
The menu was a bit pricey but it didn't seem too too bad when our bills arrived later that morning,




 
It was cool that they offered a selection that I could pick from. I was afraid they wouldn't serve my food allowances but they had just what I needed.
 
I went with the Oatmeal Cooked in a Cast Iron Pot (steel cut or rolled oats - seasonal condiments which were molasses, syrup and a jam paste), 2-eggs and the grilled tomato.




Doesn't it look delicious? It should, because it was.  Who knew a $5 quarter of a tomato could be so appetizing..



Before visiting this hotel, we both kinda laughed at the price and how we could never justify paying $550-$3000 /night for a room. After seeing just a small portion of the place, we both agreed that it was a Bucket list kinda thing. It would definitely make an amazing getaway on a special night with a special person (d'aww .. O Victoriaaa).

*Note: Zeta Cobb is allowing every resident on Fogo Island to spend a night at the Inn for free.

After we finished breakfast, we headed over to have tea with Marie before we left. We chatted for a little over an hour and then were on our way. Karla and I stopped at the other artist studio on our drive.




 
 

 
We then headed to This n' That for one last look and then onward to Brimstone Head. Brimstone was on our 'to do' list but when we got three-quarters of the way up, we had to turn back because the wind was ridiculous. We both had tears in our eyes and at one point there was a potential to be blown off of the cliff. It wasn't cool.


Karla faking excitement.
She's afraid for her life here! (not kidding)


Then it was off to the ferry where we began our voyage back to reality. We arrived at the ferry an hour early, sat and read while drinking coffee and then had a relaxing non-rushed drive back to St. John's.



Highlights of my trip
  • I read over half of a novel (I have 5 to read before my 26th Birthday, remember?)
  • I bought my first piece of art and I have already scoured Adam Young's site to start deciding on what I shall purchase next
  • I got to see the Osmond family (they're so good to me)
  • I got to cross off #22 on from my 25 While 25 list
  • I got to eat a prestige high-end hotel that had the most beautiful eating area I had ever seen
  • I learned to appreciate down time
  • I got to sleep in without feeling guilty

All in all, this 48-hr excursion was most definitely a 10/10. I wish we had been there longer but we did what we could. It was relaxing, yet filled with things to do. I couldn't have asked for a better friend to go with (as you can see from all of the pictures I took of Ms. Hunter). We were definitely on the same page the entire time and enjoyed our time away from Long Harbour.

Thanks, Karla :)


Questions

Have you ever been to Fogo?

Does art work make you excited?

Do you think 48-hrs is long enough for a getaway?


If you missed Fogo Adventure - Part 1, you can find it here

No comments:

Post a Comment