Sunday, December 8, 2013

Living the Dream & Learning to Relax


Wow, what a weekend I had, you guys. Today is day 5 of  being off work (I had 2 days off sick and then another 4 cause of my 10 on, 4 off schedule. Pretty much like a weeks holidays don't ya think?

Aside from today where I did absolutely NOTHING, I was pretty much steady go for most of my days off.

Here's a quick recap.


Thursday

Thursday started with a messy protein pancake scramble and cup of black french roast before heading to Atlantic Place to try it out. The further you read, the more you'll notice what a 'Try Something New Day" (minus the scramble of course .. that's a staple in my diet) I had.





Rob brought me a serving of Platinum Pre by Optimum Nutrition. This is a pre-workout that he uses when lifting. I had some weight lifting planned for the morning so I was down to try something that might give a kick.




And what a kick it gave me. I probably took a little more than I should have cause my face was tingling (not healthy and not suggested, friends) but I was definitely on top of the world for my workout!

I went for a little run while gazing over the harbour.



And then for a walk on a 5.0 incline o I could read a few chapters of my book, The Dinner.


After a chest and arms workout, we headed for a coffee but noticed this Juice Bar on the stroll. Smoothie Factory is a chain originated in the United States.  The downtown location in St. John's is actually the first in Canada. Cool, right? It was actually amazing!




They sell a number of protein powders and vitamins. They also have a selection of protein and high-energy bars. (Clif, my fav).




And they have a yogurt bar coming soon, aswell as a panini grill. 

They even had dark chocolates available that were paired with particular wines. 





As much as I wanted to go for the juice, I was sooo hungry and needed something substantial.  I went with a concoction suggested by the girl who served us.



I had a smoothie with natural peanut butter, mango, frozen banana, protein powder and something or other.

Rob went with some sort of carrot juice.

And we had a shot each of wheat grass and a shot of pure pineapple juice to chase it.




Ps. Smoothie Factory > Booster Juice


My list of things to do for December (which I have hand written in my 'to do' book and not on this blog) calls for trying as many new coffee shops as possible. Rob suggested Fixed for a post-morning upper.



Fixed had a very odd setting. The coffee was incredible but it was just 'different' there. The music was indie pop blogging music (we recognized a lot of tunes), but then there were pictures of jesus everywhere, photos of boats tacked with paper clips and a furby on the mantle? Weird .. cool all the same. Definitely not a blogging atmosphere though. The music was too loud and the LOUD kids had my blood pressure on max.


So we relocated to Coffee Matters (I have tried Coffee Matters before but never their actual coffee).


I settled with a coffee as I had a bit of an upset stomach from my new antibiotics, and Rob tested out the carrot cake. Yum!



 We chilled and blogged for a few more hours and then had a supper time visit from Ms. Sullivan who came with gifts :)


After coffee we headed to our cars and made a pit stop at Atlantic Place to grab some sushi from the sushi bar. It was the first I had eaten there and Emily had assured me that it was the best sushi, ever!

He went with a dragon roll.


And I settled with a spicy salmon roll and some grilled edumame. The first few edumame strands were incredible .. then it was like chewing tape from there on out. I guess it was leftovers from the day?



And being geekly little blog nerds, we finished the day with some more blogging at Starbucks haha where I had a skinny peppermint mocha latte.


And a complimentary taste test of a cranberry bliss bar and a mini non-skinny peppermint mocha latte (much better than mine).


Thursday night was pretty low-key and ended with a 10-pm 'I'm lazy right now' while watching Dexter.



I watched 2 episodes and snacked on popcorn, peanuts and coco chips.

Friday

I decided to sleep in on Friday (which was hitting snooze from 6:45-9-am and then finally dragged my ass out of bed at 9:30-am. I was super lazy and had convinced myself that I had ruined my day by sleeping it away. As if 9:30 is sleeping in. Ugh, dramatic much?!!

I grabbed a clif bar and headed for another Atlantic Place gym session with Rob.




We got our sweat on and I pumped out a small jog and then we headed to Starbucks for a quick coffee to go. Steven had mentioned this show called Homeland (Claire Danes .. remember her? Love). We headed to the house and broke out the Netflix/protein pancakes  .. episodes later and I decided to stay in for the night.


The ol' pal headed to his Christmas work party and I stayed home eating fruit salads and finished the last season of Dexter! Yayyy! I had my first beer in the new place and I wore baggy ol' clothes and lived like a rockstar in the company of myself! I generally am not a lover of wasting my days, but I kept telling myself that I deserved to relax. And that is exactly what I did :)




Whoa, boring post, right? haha So ya .. just popped in for a play by play in the non-exciting life of me :) Love it.

Blog, coffee, eat, repeat.

Questions
1. What did you get up to this weekend?
2. Do you workout on your days off work?
3. Do you hate when you see ill people working out at the gym?


4 comments:

  1. Friday night- buying puppy food, and returning worn out boots to AE and getting a brand new replacement pair no questions asked!!
    Saturday- getting stranded inside my condo with Mike because we forgot to plug in my car overnight (it gets so cold in Calgary that this is necessary or your car will not start next time you wanna go!) So given it was -30 out we didn't mind being stuck inside. Then went on a double date to the Keg (major cheat meal- filet mignon and twice baked potato) ...worth EVERY calorie and more lol
    Sunday- Walked to the gym on a nice crisp winter day, did a killer ab, shoulder, cardio day, then tanned, then spent 30 mins in the massage chair. Bought some Davids tea (live for "The Skinny"..great metabolism booster) and came home to clean all night!!

    Eating a spinach, tomato, olive oil salad right now to make up for last nights meal!

    LOVE working out on days off work. I have so much more energy where I didnt wake up so early and work all day long. I usually save leg and more intense days for the weekends.

    Love your blog! Its the only one I consistently read and look forward to! :)

    -Amelia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amelia :)

      I think your weekend sounds superb! You still did more than I did haha And I ate terribly.. Alcohol last night and .. and .. chips today! Eeek! I swam yesterday morning and had a deadly week of workouts though .. I tried to convince myself that it made up for it. Ya, not so much.

      I plan on waking tomorrow, starting my day eating a protein pancake, doing Christmas things/working out and just ticking things off the list. I also committed to a lane swim at 7-pm tomorrow night with my mom. That'll keep me grounded for the day.

      ps. You make me shiver just thinking about -30 temperatures. My godddd!!!
      pps. The Christmas tea at David's tea is a new fav! I'm 100% gonna try out 'The Skinny'

      O, and what you're eating sounds amazing ;)

      Delete
  2. I loves a little nibble nibble while watching tv! My top picks have to be nachos (extra jalapenos, please...and throw a bit of chicken on there for a laugh), veggie trays (what just happened? I couldn't hear the tv over the crunching of delicious carrots in my brain), pistachios (brb pink fingers for the next 5 days) Trying to stay healthy and satisfied during my TV Days :) Awesome blog! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Smoothie Factory > Booster Juice - FACT

    I will vouch for Kimchi & Sushi but it certainly isn't as good as Sun Sushi ;)

    Also, LOVE Fixed! Not a fan of the atmosphere either but any time I picked up a java or some food, it was amazing!

    I totally fell off the wagon this weekend :/ and now I'm having to pick up the slack this week. Same ol story around the Christmas season! I registered for the Hypo Half Marathon to keep me on track, so I'll be doing just that from here on out.

    I'll end with saying I used to be the sick person at the gym trying to "sweat it out"... Being an instructor, my manager advised that the best cure is to stay home and rest. As much as we hate to hear that, it's better than putting any more stress on your system :)

    ReplyDelete