Sunday, November 10, 2013

RUNNING IS TOTALLY MENTAL

Sooo .. guess what Monday is? Ahh o not a big day .. just MY FIRST 10K (11k actually ;) )
It's the Run to Remember and I'm through the roof excited! I've never run a 10k before and I a. have it on my Bucketlist and b. have it on my 25 While 25 so I'll be loving picking up the blue pen and 'scratch scratch scratch'ing it off the page (nothing gives me a better high .. sad, I know).

I've had a little race anxiety lately as my running has been pretty scarce. Since the Tely in July, I've spent most of my time weight training. It's true, it's not like riding a bike when it comes to running. I find if I have a huge spell of non-treadmill/outdoor running, then it feels like I'm starting from square one again. This is not ok cause I really enjoy the exercise.

Anyhow, in the last month I've had 2 'YES' weeks of running(jogging) and 2 'BOO' weeks. The previous week has been numero deux. As of yesterday morning, I was coated in anxiety for Monday morning. I was doubting myself in a big way. Hoping to trip and hurt my knee .. hoping to be called into work .. anything to get me out of the Run to Remember. It's not that I didn't wanna run in the race, but just that I thought that completing the run was out of my reach. O wait, my favourite quote, if it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you .. right? Right. So this Saturday morning I tied my runners up and headed for Quidi Vidi.

If you're a runner, you know that running on a treadmill and running on actual ground is extremely different. I think that most would agree with me when I say that running outside is far more difficult. Anyhow, with a 6-week lapse of running outdoors ( ... I know right), I figured that Quidi Vidi would be such a struggle ..  so I text Emily and told her my plan. I knew if I wrote it out then chances were she'd probably follow up on the task and I'd be 100% accountable for it. So ya, sneakers on .. and .. GO!!



So that's 2 laps around the lake, 7.6-km (4.72-miles) in 43:10. Ahh hello, super happy with this time! No breaks, the wind was in my face for both laps on the second half of the lake so that time was pretty decent (in my opinion - tomorrow could be a totally different story). It's like a 9.14 minute mile (5.68 minute km). Beats my Tely time which was a little under a 10 minute mile.

The only thing about my little spout at Quidi Vidi  is .. this was my pace for what is equivalent to 2/3 of the run. The Run to Remember is 11km ( 6.83miles). Confidence. Confidence. Confidence. I can do this. I got this. Right? Of course .. *insert an uh oh face here*

what a sky, eh?


the chubby little nerd kid

beautiful crisp afternoon :)


Ok, so in my honest opinion, running is completely mental. I was told recently that the mind gives up far quicker than the body ever will (wasn't that exact sentence though), but you get the point I'm trying to make. If I think I can do it, I can do it. I guess for a while I was just caught up on getting a good PR (personal record) for my first 10k. O well .. I'll do what I can do. My only competitor is that little hottie I see in the mirror every morning ;)

After my little trot around Quidi Vidi, I headed to the gym to meet Emily for some quick cardio before we had to pick up our race kits.




I did a 19:44 minute two miles but I did stop and have a <1-minute conversation with Emily when she arrived so I guess that was like a 30-second break?




Emily was getting her sweat on with a swift run, too. (ps. She has made huge progress with running and only started training a few weeks a go. Go you!)

And then it was time to pick up our race kits at New World Fitness.







And it's on! Good luck to all the runners tomorrow! :)


Funny little Starbucks Sunday moment. 

So I found $80.00 in my purse this morning. Deadly when that happens, right? Man, I'm pumped when I find a $5, never mind $80! Anyways .. I spot the money, get excited, stop at Starbucks and grab a twenty to pay for my coffee (cause I can).

..then my keys jump out of my hoodie pocket and the doors lock. I have a spare key that I was bringing to my dad's house two days a go and had left it in a coat pocket. In my car. Then I had to pay $40 to get it out. Funny how those things work out, hey?

I suppose on the bright side, I'm up $40? Ya, let's go with that.

Not So Funny Starbucks Sunday Morning Moment
I just got staring at Courtney Rowsell in Starbucks. Ugh. She's here with her little girl and they're having playful times and she's so fit and so successful and I pretty much just love her life. And then she caught me awkwardly but I was in a trance and my reaction time was idiotic. And she didn't catch me in that smile and nod way .. but in that 'why is that random mess dancing at a table with headphones and starring at me like she has a sick crush?'. Ugh, anyways. (1. She's the owner of Love Yourself Lean Intl 2. I'm dancing to Gaga this morning)

Lataaaa! :)

Questions
1. Do races make you nervous?
2. Are you running the Run to Remember?
3. Any races in your near future?


No comments:

Post a Comment