Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Break it downnnnn (post-run)

Details - The Breakdown

  1. Total Runners in the Race: 104
  2. My Place: 58th
  3. Did I make the top 50%: No
  4. Goal Set Pre-race: 1:05
  5. Official Race Time: 1:02:46
  6. Female Runners: 53
  7. Of 53 Female Runners: I came 18th
  8. Am I happy with my time: the fact that I didn't make the top 50% was kind of a let down but given a 1:02:46, I think I'll love. If I had of known it'd be a competitive race (a lot more competitive than you might think), then I would have picked up the pace.
  9. What was my average pace: 6.6 mph
  10. What was my goal pace: 6.5mph


Things I enjoyed about the 2013 Run to Remember

Water Station - Though it was a very small race, they had a water station set up at the half-way mark.

There & Back - The race was not a loop, but instead had a turnaround point. This was great for gauging time and required speed for any personal goals.

The Trails - I loved that the run was on a trail rather than main road. Trail running is so scenic and it's nice to not have drivers gawking at you while you truck on by. O, and for blocking the wind.

The Gun - Such a small race yet they still had a gun for take-off. Emily and I got a silly little scare when it was shot. Fun :)


I'm sure there are a lot of other things that I enjoyed about the race but my mind is drawing a blank at the moment.


Things I didn't enjoy about the 2013 Run to Remember

The lack of support for co-runners
The Tely 10 is definitely (in my opinion) the most competitive race in NL and yet it's not hard to get a high-five or a big smile from any fellow runners. I found it very odd how no runners would smile or nod at each other. Is that weird or is it just me? I find running a mental game and I do generally bring myself into a zone, but when I run Quidi Vidi or Signal Hill, I always make it a point to smile at fellow runners. Despite the huge smile of pure joy that I had/gave everyone during the race, there was only one other runner who 1. threw a high-five my way and 2. gave me an even bigger smile. Emily.

I love giving support when I see runners and I love when I receive a grin or nod in return. It's such a simple act but it makes such a big difference.

*I used the word smile way too much up there

Runners Vs. Walkers
I know there were only a 100+ runners, but I hated how staggered the walkers/runners were. For the first mine and a half, it was very difficult to get a head of anyone. I really wish the walkers were stationed in the back and the runners in the front.


What I plan to do different next year

Hydrate hydrate hydrate - I might have drank a glass of water the day before the race. I was completely doped up on coffee on Sunday and then downed a 700-L bottle before bed (and was then up 3 times to use the washroom which resulted in broken sleep).

Not drink a full coffee the morning of the race - Before we even crossed the start line, I said to Emily "omg, I have to pee so bad". Although I blocked it out for the first half of the race, the second was killer and I definitely put some debate into jumping off the trail (oops) <-- ps. I ended up waiting until after the run.

Not wear gloves - I always start running with gloves on (pending chilly weather) and then rid them about 1-mile in as my hands are roasted
Research the course

Use iTunes > iTube  - I used iTube for music and two days before the race, my music would freeze unexpectedly. This happened three times during the race and I awkwardly had to shut the program off, then on again. Not ok.

Not be a walking smoke stack - O.m.g. This is so humiliating to admit but 'it is what it is' .. so .. I smoked like 10 a lot of cigarettes the day before the race. I was having the most 'off' day ever! I don't know why, but I was buzzing around town trying to be productive and get pumped, and after every stop, I'd light up a cigarette. My poor lungs were burning when I ran and I found it exceptionally hard to catch a big breath! U-g-h.
(good thing this is supposed to be my little corner of healthy living, hey?) <--not ok

Research the Route - I really enjoyed the route taken for the Run to Remember and I definitely could have used a practice run prior to race day.

Also, 5-minutes before running, this was my conversation:

Victoria: Guess what I dug out?
Emily: hmm?
Victoria: The ol' Asics, boi! Got my pavement runners back on the go. I was running with my Salomon trail runners there for a while but I love these sneaks!
Emily: Ahhh good call! Ya, I'm gonna get new sneakers soon.
^ she was wearing Nike Frees

... so then we walk to the start line, the damn race was on a trail! A damn trail! I needed my trail runners! My thoughts immediately were 'kjdshflkjdahfljfgljsafldsa'.. And GO!


Read your damn registration email - I showed up at the wrong starting area and had a small conniption! I actually thought I was gonna vomit when I arrived and there was no one in sight. Hate this word but it was definitely a stupid moment of mine..


Few Snaps from the Finish..

I hope this is not what I look like on an every day basis..

Emily crossing her 1st finish line! :) :)


*Pictures taken from here


A few random points to conclude with

  • 25 While 25 - #7 - Run a 10k
  • I told Emily that she should eat really clean days leading up to the run. The girl eats great anyways but I stressed it as I knew the better we both ate, the better we'd feel, the more energy we'd have when it was time to lace up -  this went accordingly and left us both feeling 'win-win'
  • My eats from the day before, Sunday, November 10th:
Breakfast
Maxwell Medium Roast Coffee x 2
 
Protein Pancake Scramble

Lunch
 
Spinach with Chicken Breast cooked in Chipotle Garlic
Olive Oil
 
Supper
 
Asparagus Salad (Extreme Pita) w. Balsamic
 
Bedtime Pre-Race Meal

 
Massive Protein Pancake w. 1T of almond butter
(1. it's so big cause I added baking powder
and 2. yes, that's a dinner size plate)

  • Friday I ran Quidi Vidi twice, and then followed with a 2-mile run on the treadmill to gauge my time/speed/body. I actually had the perfect day and decided that for the day of the race, I would mimic my Friday morning. Ex. wake, shower, eat, relax, run.  Done and done.
  • One thing that made the run super comfortable was:

The Running Room Buff
 
My sister owns this but it's a Buff that was purchased at the Running Room. Itcan be worn many different ways but I used it as an ear-warmer/headband. It kept my ears and head super toasty and was super comfy! I have a lot of hair so it worked wonders for keeping the horses main out of my face. (Christmas gift maybe?)
 
 
 
Taken from the website, the description/features and benefits are as follows:
 

Description

The original BUFF is 100% microfiber tubular, high-stretch and seamless. Provides excellent breathability and humidity control. Thanks to its Polygiene® system, the fabric remains clean for longer without releasing odors caused by bacteria, without harming the environment. There are at least 12 ways to wear the BUFF: Neckerchief, Headband, Mask, Hood, Balaclava, Foulard, Dorag, Sahariane, Pirate, Cap, Hairband and Scrunchy. You may be able to create your own way of wearing it too. BUFF allows it wearer to change their headwear on the fly.

Features & Benefits

  • Designed for multi-sport use
  • Lightweight
  • Soft and comfortable
  • Warm in winter
  • Cool in summer
  • One size fits all

  •  
    Overall, great day, great run .. and that is all until the next race. And there will be a next race. (I'm already on the google train for something to look forward to)   :)

    Happy days, friends!

    Questions
    1. How do you prepare for a run?
    2. What is the longest run you've ever done?

    No comments:

    Post a Comment