Monday, August 26, 2013

The Glory Dash

So Saturday was the 1st ever Glory Dash! I competed with 11 other co-workers (4 girls are 8 guys) and it was actually amazing! Such a time and such a rush!

What is the Glory Dash?

The Glory Dash is a 7-km obstacle racing event that is set to challenge you physically and mentally with obstacles placed at different locations.

The Facebook page for the dash quotes "You will be pushed out of your comfort zone and will be having a blast along the way". Boy, was that true!

It cost $85.00 to register and it included the following:
  • A free one-month membership to MAX
  • Max Glory Surge classes
  • Access to weekly Glory Challenges
  • A Glory Dash t-shirt
  • A custom one of a kind Glory Dash participant medal
  • Access to the exclusive after party event
The Course


The course didn't take long to do as you were constantly on the move. The only thing that was kind of a downfall was waiting for others to finish an obstacle so you could take your turn. All the same, it was a nice little break where you could catch your breath and drip off a little (we were soaking from 1. the weather and 2. crawling through water and mud)



The weather was cloudy/misty and even though we were all a little chilled while at the starting line, I'd pick this over a hot 30-degree day cause you would probably roast. The race started with running up a hill of the beaten muddy race track so everyone worked up a sweat within the first 10 minutes!

My Conclusions Post-Glory Dash

  • tire agility was the easiest. If you can't do this, you're in rough shape
  • monkey bars are HARD! The span between each bar was FAR and I physically couldn't reach This ended in a 20 burpee penalty .. oops 
  • burpees beat the livin shit outta ya!! HOLY SMOKES! 
  • running the mudhill will make your legs jello
  • the wire crawl was fun! :) We crawled through water that was almost up to your face. I pitied the  competitors who didn't have pants on. You'd pretty much take the skin off your legs with the rocks that were non-visible in the water
  • the fire jump was a no-go due to the weather. They substituted a longgg muddle jump
  • the cargo net climb was awesome but very shaky. More than one person climbed at a time so there was constant rope tension
  • the lateral wall climb was challenging but luckily, I'm tall and could shimmy shimmy holding the top of the wall (holy splinters - wear gloves, friends)
  • multiple wall climb - HARD! If you weren't tall, this was a challenge as you had to hoist yourself up and jump over three plywood walls
  • the balance beam was harder than it looked. I kept telling myself 'yoga = balance, yoga = balance) High fiveeee!
  • the horizontal wall climb was a thick rope across a body of water. I wrapped my legs and pulled across with my arms. This was pretty tough and it took a lot of upper body strength. Upper body strength is definitely something I lack though
  • the log carry .. O the log carry .. So before I started, I was watching the other time slot of competitors do the log carry and said "why are they walking? pff .. I'd totally be running .. pff" Ahhhh nooo byyy! That shit was tough! You had to carry a log over your head and run around the orange stick markers, up a hill, down a hill and then up a highly inclined hill. Definitely a challenge
  • the vertical rope climb .. if you haven't practised before attempting a vertical rope climb .. PRACTISE! Like, a lot!
  • the water carry was lifting another log over your head and running through the edge of the pond. Holy rocks, holy slippery, holy sore arms!
  • The most challenging part of the race was the last few km. You had to run to the water carry station and the dirt road seemed never ending. Holy f*ck! I handy died! I was actually panting and thought I might die. The racers coming back in the other direction were all chanting and slapping hands and giving praise and encouragement so this definitely helped. The run was all on an incline and with soaking wet clothes, my body felt like it was 1938742-lbs!

Heather & Liz finishing up

and again :)

Heather & I, high on life

Ha, if you work in Long Harbour, you can appreciate this.
I was #223 and that's my building, bitches!

Papa-bear & Heather 


Bromance

Sarhan & Sylvain


So what's next? O, I don't know ... The colour run? The Rainbow Run? Run for the Cure? The Ovarian Walk? Maybe ... Mud Immortal?? (maybe baby) Who knows. All I can say is that Saturday was a summer highlight! I'm so happy that I registered and so glad I had an amazing team to share the course with. 




Challenge yourself! It's worth the 'top of the world' feeling you'll get when you accomplish something major ! :) You couldn't bring me down if you tried on Saturday! Love life!



If this is something you'd like to try but haven't registered for, make note that there will be one held in Clarenville on September 14th. It's at the White Hills Ski Resort. F-f-f-funnnn!

1 comment: