Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Sunday Activities / Meal Prep / Kale Chips Recipe


So obviously I was super pumped to write a blog update yesterday after the run, and what better place to sit and enjoy myself than at Starbucks (Hi, Allan)! Pretty sure I constantly talk about how I wanna just sit in the Sbux atmosphere to blog and/or read .. well yesterday, I did it. No guilt. I didn't feel like I was 'wasting my life away', as my body was pretty tired anyway. I sat on those comfy couches (actually it was a leather chair) for 2+ hours. I drank a coffee and then a Iced Green Tea Lemonade with a Blueberry Oat Bar (all 370-calories of it). I was super hesistant to get the blueberry bar because 1. as I've mentioned before, I'm trying to limit wheat from my diet and 2. It's so high in calories and sugar. As I hummed and haa'd for a good twenty minutes, I said F-it, because I felt like I derserved to treat myself. :)


After I completed my blog post, I headed to the mall for a small shop. I was looking for a dress for 1/3 nights of George Street Fest and Val had told me that Envy had a massive sale. The only thing I had consumed post-race was the oat bar so ya'kno..I was feeling skinny. Skinny + shopping = major success always, right?

After my little mall adventure, I headed to moms for some suppa! She had cooked a pork roast with roasted mixed vegetables (no olive oil) and roasted potato (I skipped on this). I had a big plate and drank about 1/3 of that beer then headed to the spare room for a nap. No sir.. I could not fall asleep. I figured I'd be super exhausted and have no trouble sleeping but I couldn't for the life of me fall pass out so I headed to Dominion and then home to food prep for the week.


Groceries


Grocery List 

  • frozen mangos
  • frozen blueberries
  • frozen superfruit blend 
  • 2-lbs of strawberries
  • watermelon
  • pineapple (not shown)
  • snow peas
  • edumame salad 
  • 4-kg of chicken breast
  • 12 pork sirloin chops
  • almond butter
  • honey
  • pure protein bars (yummy)



Meal Plan for the Week (Lunches)


Monday - 1-cup of edumame salad and 1 baked pork sirloin

Tuesday - 1-cup of boiled vegetables, 1/2 cup of edumame salad with a half a chicken breast mixed in

Wednesday - Bbq chicken salad with brussels sprouts as the green

Thursday - pork stir-fry

Friday - Meal replacement smoothie

Saturday - TBD

Meal Prep



I always eye this salad when I'm at Costco, but I never buy it. I was feeling pretty lazy for meal prepping on Sunday so I decided to splurge on the salad and split it up throughout the week (pending if I was a fan or not). My-God! It was sooo delicious! I tried a little on Sunday night and was hooked immediately. I gave my mom a portion, measured out 2 cups in separate containers and left another 2 cups in a separate container to pick at throughout the week. I opted to pass on the dressing as it was some creamy style mayo-base and I'm not a fan of mayo. The edumame has the salad bursting with flavour so I really didn't need any additives. Not kidding guys, this is a must! I will most definitely be picking it up on my next trip to Costco!! AND, it was only $8.99.


Protein
 

$10.50 for 12 chops at Costco. Approx. 300-350 calories / pork chop and they are super big/filling. I baked 6 in the oven to sparse out through the week to put with my meals. I also boiled 2 chicken breast to switch it up throughout the week.




I 'pre-mixed' a batch of Paleo Granola that I plan to bake later on in the week. I was starting to get super tired so I just mixed the dry ingredients and left the liquid ingredients for Wednesday or Thursday. (Recipe coming soon)


I took a trip to Bulk Barn on Friday so I whipped together a little trail mix to pick at throughout the week.

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup of unsweetened dried cranberries
  • 1/2 cup of raisins
  • 1/2 cup of unsalted almonds
  • 1/2 cup of unsalted raw cashews
  • 1/2 cup of pumpkin seeds
  • 1/2 cup of sunflower seeds
  • 1/2 cup of unsweetened shredded coconut
  • 1/2 cup of dried dates 



So, my week has started and I have 6 pork loin, 2 boiled chicken breast, trail mix, a huge mixture of strawberries, pineapple and watermelon, edumame salad and 6 hard-boiled eggs. I've been on a smoothie kick lately so I leave frozen fruit, protein powder, ground flax, almond milk and egg whites at work (hence why it isn't included in my meal prep). I don't know what it is about smoothies, but they always make me feel like I started my day off right. They're so delicious and nutritious (given the right ingredients).

After my fridge was stogged and ready to go, I had this weird urge to make kale chips. Karla has been raving about these and makes her own regularly. Recipes are incredibly easy to find on the Internet (i.e. pinterest) and they leave you with the most satisfying feeling of food comfort after you've eaten them. Almost like you just let yourself eat actual chips. Obviously, these are not chips, so don't expect the same taste, but they have a crispy texture and a salty taste. Try it!



Kale Chips
 

Ingredients

  • 1 head of Kale (Sobey's or Dominion - Karla informed me that this is locally grown - bonus!)
  • 1 tsp of sea salt 
  • 1.5 tbsp of olive oil 
  • spice of choice (I used Mrs. Dash Chipotle)
Directions
  • ensure kale is dry and tear into small tostito size pieces
  • place in bowl and add olive oil 
  • sprinkle kale with salt and seasoning of choice and mix to make sure all leaves are coated
  • spread on baking sheet and place in oven at 350-C for 20-minutes
  • Remove, enjoy!







So there it is, folks. That was my happy Sunday. I went to bed feeling a fantastic sense of accomplishment. I ran, shopped, hung out with mom, blogged, prepped, tidied and was in bed by 10:45. I know everyone hates the fact that Sunday marks 'tomorrow is Monday, ugh', but there is no better feeling than being Ms/Mr productive at the start of your week. No ifs, ands or buts! 

Note: if you think my planning/groceries are boring this week, know that I have apples and oranges at work, peppers and celery left from last week and tons of hummus that is still eatable! Kale chips and hummus perhaps? ahh helloooo experiment time :)

Chow chow, friends!



Have any good recipes?
Any tips on how YOU plan for your week?

No comments:

Post a Comment