Thursday, July 18, 2013

Getting Back on Track - 2 weeks until the Tely 10

So before I begin, I'd like to give a huge apology for being such a slack-ass blogger lately. I was off work for a week with strep throat, a lymph node infection and I had an allergic reaction (affecting my face) to a medication. So honestly, there hasn't been much on the healthy scene for me to blog about. And, I felt like shit for a week. Just sayin'

Day 5 of healing. I look phenomenal in comparison to what I did look like.

For nearly a week, I
  • lay in bed energy less
  • drank almost only smoothies
  • felt like I had slept the days away but when I think about it, I was constantly tossing and turning or in the shower from cold sweats (TMI, I know)
  • did not run
  • did not lift a weight
  • did not take a vitamin
  • did not eat a vegetable
  • burned my stomach out from only having frozen fruit in my smoothies
My eating for the past 2-weeks has been limited and boring.
My exercise for the past 2-weeks has been at a minimum and very un-intense.
The Tely 10 is < 2 weeks and I've been in a pretty big panic about it. I'm trying to stay positive and not be a big ol' drama mama but I'd be lying if I said that I felt prepared. I've yet to do a 'long run' and I've yet to even hit my average minute mile that I want to finish in. I was at the gym the other night and was walking down the stairs and had this quick thought of what I'd do if I fell. If I broke a bone. If I broke my leg. Wanna know the saddest part? My first thought was relief! Isn't that .. hmm .. like sick!? Ahh yiahhh, it's sick in the head. I just wanted an excuse to not run the race. A reason because I've felt so out of the loop lately. I'm not gonna say I'm lazy, just undetermined. Undetermined because taking more than 3 days off of exercise makes me feel like I'm starting from scratch. I know that's such a poor attitude but It's just how I think. Wanna know what I did after my sick thoughts? I ran 2-miles. (I had just finished 2-miles but had to stop to p-double-e) so I jumped back on the treadmill and did a much faster 2-miles.

So now I'll stop being a debbie-downer and a negative-ned and move forward with better thoughts and positive energy =) Cause at the end of the day, that's how I roll, friends! (or so I tell myself)

So what's my plan for the next week and a half you ask? What am I going to do to stay positive and motivated and to prepare (semi) for the 10-miler?
  • run a minimum of 4-miles a day (aside from the days I need rest - in which I will do yoga)
  • start back up taking my iron, vitamin D, fish oil, Ca-Mg and multi-vitamin pills
  • stretch every morning for 10-minutes because when I do this, I start my morning with great ambition
  • sit in the sauna for a minimum of 5-minutes after every treadmill run as I find is loosens my muscles and makes me feel great
  • eat as much green leafy vegetables and poultry as possible
  • eat some form of protein after the gym to avoid waking up in the middle of the night
  • drink a ton of water every day and limit my caffeine intake
  • blog about my food consumption
  • record my workouts every day so I can post a fitness calender at the months end
  • sleep at least 5-5.5-hrs every night (8 on my days off of work)
  • fu*k off being hard on the energy drinks
  • stop drinking until the night of the race (then I have a hot date with 18 Budlight - and I'm excited)
  • limit my smoking to 4 cigarettes a day [stop judging me .. like NOW :) ]
  • start focusing more on 'what' I'm eating, and not as much on 'how much' I'm eating. (I want to make sure I stay fuelled so I don't harm myself - believe me, this won't be a problem haha) I heart food
  • kick up the running outdoors (as the Tely 10 is not taking place in the frigging Goodlife gym)
  • exercise earlier in the morning on my days off and complete errands afterwards. I wake up pretty early anyway but I usually do all of my running around then. If I wake early and exercise, I'm hoping to jump-start my metabolism and then perhaps exercise again in the evening time
  • avoid lifting weights so that I'm not sore and work solely on my cardio (I'm sure people will have different opinions on this point)
  • stretch after every run (I'm starting to slack on this)
  • moisturize my toesies so it's easier running
  • update my music so I'm not sick of my Tely list come July 28th
  • look up random running/motivational quotes each morning when I arrive to work so I can start my day off with a positive and determined mind-set .. starting with ..
 
ha, seemed fitting seeing how what stresses me the most about running is my pace.
 
Workout Agenda for Wed, July 17 - Sat, July 20

Wednesday, July 17th  - 4.0-mile run
Thursday, July 18th - 3.0-mile run & weights
Friday, July 19th - 4.0-mile run
Saturday, July 20th - Rest?
[I'll be sure to do a long run that is no less than 12km (approx. 7.45-miles) ]

Listing the above will give me that extra push because I know I'll have to do a post with a little summary on what I actually completed after the fact.

Anyhow, moving on from a rant, here is a classic what i ate Wednesday..


WIAW


 I went to bed Tuesday night at 7pm. I did 4 miles of jogging (treadmill) the night before and was just absolutely exhausted at work all day on Tuesday. Going to bed so early meant I didn't have supper, so when I woke up, I ran for the magic bullet and mixed up this berry smoothie (4:45am, 220-calories)


Obviously I have to start off every day with my black coffee! I sip on this as I cruise off to Long Harbour with the wind blowing in my messy hair and the music beating through the ceiling. Le sigh .. that doesn't actually happen (but..I actually get excited for this as soon as I wake up in the morning. It's sad)


1 1/4-cup of Natura Simply Egg Whites done on a frying pan for a 7:30 breakfast #2 (150-calories)

 
My appetite was out of control all Wednesday morning. I think it was because my metabolism had a kick start where I ate the smoothie before 5am. Anyhow, ended up having 2 snacks at 10am. I ended up measuring 1-tbsp of Sunbutter (100-calories), 6 celery sticks (45-calories) and 1 medium Gala apple (85-calories) *Times this meal by 2. I had the same thing for lunch because I was super busy at work today and was on the run all afternoon*


I had this concox at around 4pm. I was absolutely famished! I haven't really been doing dairy for a few months now as I had previously read some good articles regarding the pros and cons of dairy products. I had some Greek yogurt covered raisins on Canada Day weekend and they really upset my stomach. I read an article on how dairy is the one food group that if you quit, it tortures your stomach to get back into. Well today I had a major craving for cheese! I mean bad! I had my egg whites in the fridge with my 1/2 a medium avocado but there was something that didn't seem appetising to me ... so I tested the ol' belly with a few cubes of cheese. Holy yum! (approx. 400-cal?) (This meal was d-e-l-i-c-i-o-u-s! It actually had no affect on the stomach (minus the waistline increase), but ya, happy supper to me! (I'm still gonna keep avoiding dairy because I find it surprisingly easy to live without).


I hate that I have to be 100% honest with my WIAW posts.. yes, I ate this brownie. I kinda just grabbed it and ran while I was on the go today. Then I had a lot of anxiety. And then I was kicking myself for caring so much. But ya, I ate a brownie. It was not low-fat. It was not weight watchers. It was not a diet brownie. It WAS a big-fat-chocolatey-thunder-thigh-brownie! (And it was fucking delicious!) Moving on..


I fell asleep on the drive home from work (obv wasn't driving haha) and when I woke up I was starving. I was meeting Val and Shawna at Quidi Vidi for a speed walk so I had to run into Esso for a quick fix. Dried fruit and red bull took the cake! (280-cal)


When I got home from the gym I wasn't all that hungry. I generally don't enjoy eating post-workout as my stomach is a little uneasy, but tonight I had a half of a scoop of 100% Pure Protein Whey and water (70-cal). It was not one bit tasty but I drank it to avoid waking up at 2am starving (common occurrence)

Summary



According to MFP I went over 500+ calories (oops!) I also don't incorporate my workouts into MFP as I don't know how accurate the calorie burn is. But anyway, that's all ya can do.

Wednesday Workout

After work I met Val and Shawna at Quidi Vidi for a walk-and-talk. They had rowing at 8 so we had to do it pretty swiftly. Graveyard mass was otg so parking was a nightmare and I ended up parking on the opposite side of the pond from the girls. This meant I had to do a little jog to meet them. After we met and did a lap (2.36-miles, 3.8-km), I went on my merry way and made it back to my car. I'm guessing I definitely did 2.75-miles in total.


After Quidi Vidi I headed to the gym for a small run. I don't know if it was the heat or what it was but I was so exhausted. I grabbed a treadmill by Heather and did a light 2-miles. I did the first mile on 5mph and the second on 5.5mph .. then I had to pee (I actually hate when this happens. The time always looks so much better when your workouts aren't broken up).
Upon my return, I did a faster 2-miles. I ran the first mile and a half on 6.0mph, the next quarter mile on 7.0mph and the last quarter mile on 7.5mph. I generally jog at a quicker pace than 5.0mph but I'm trying to work on distance before I go all out with speed. I'm planning a long run for Sunday and I wanna make sure I'm really ready.


Emily did some stair master while I did my jog so afterwards, we met up in the studio and she did some core. I was only there to stretch but we sat, moved around, caught up and talked classic gym talk. The above is Em getting her ab workouts on :)

 
 Happy with my workout!! :)
 

As stated above, I'm trying to make an effort to hit up the sauna to loosen my muscles post-running. Soooo... that's what I did! For exactly 5-minutes (look at that sweat - ewww .. ps. not sure what that face is all about?! Am I trying to do a wide-eye sexy look? If so - FAIL. I should have glanced at the picture so I could of taken another)

All in all, Wednesday was a great evening with regards to exercise. I'm pleased with what I did and hopefully Thursday will be 'as' good or better!

July Exercise to Date


Smoothie Fun
 
Ok, so is anyone wondering about that delicious colourful smoothie? I think it's my new love <3 !
I've been experimenting with smoothies lately because I bought a Magic Bullet when I started to get sick. I couldn't swallow so this was kind of my only option. After trying many different combinations, my new favourite is:

Ingredients
1. 1/2-cup of protein powder. I used Vanilla Cream Whey Protein Powder
2. 1-cup of frozen berries. I used Nature's Touch Mixed Berries (grapes, blackberries, blueberries). I bought a bag from Costco for 8.99
3. 1/2-cup of fresh blueberries
4. 1-cup of Almond Breeze. I used the Almond Coconut. I bought a carton at Dominion for 2.49
5. 1/3-cup of water

Directions
Put all ingredients into Magic Bullet and blend. I stopped mine halfway through and gave it a little shake to even out the liquid inside.

Not even kidding, this is a delicious mixture! I drank it first thing in the morning and it was incredibly refreshing :) It know it's completely mental but when I start my morning eats out right, I'm definitely more inclined to eat clean throughout the day. And I definitely feel g-g-g-reat! Heart!


---------
 
That is everything, friends! Hope everyone had a greatWednesday and continue to have a fantastic week! :)

Have you ever trained for a race and had pre-anxiety?
Know any tips on building endurance in a short time-frame?
Is anyone else running the Tely 10 this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment