Sunday, February 2, 2014

Black Bean Brownies (and 233 'good' calories)

Put your nose down .. cause I know you have it stuck up from the title of this post ;)

I recently found a recipe for black bean brownies and had to make a batch for treats at work.

These brownies came out delicious and I have had a serving every day since Monday (hashtag loves it!)

Sometimes I don't like posting recipes because what tastes good to me, sometimes (a lot of times) does not taste good to others. The black bean recipe that I used had more eggs (I used more whites), real chocolate chips (not $7 stevia chips), butter (not coconut oil) and actual sugar (not unsweetened apple sauce). I'm a lover of food so the less the calories / sugar content, the more I eat!

If you're looking for a soft brownie with a super chocolatey taste, keep reading!

Black Bean Brownies
Serves: 9  
Preparation Time:- 5-7 minutes
Cooking Time: 35-40-minutes




Ingredients
  • 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 large egg
  • 2/3 C of egg whites
  • 1/4 C of melted coconut oil
  • 1/3 C cocoa
  • 1/2 C blanched sliced almonds
  • 1T vanilla extract
  • 2/3 C apple sauce
  • 1/4 C stevia chips
  • 3 mini pks of stevia


Directions

1. Pre-heat oven to 350-degrees

2. Grease or spray pan (I greased mine with coconut oil cause I'm obviously an addict for the shiot!)



3. Combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly




4. Pour the mixture in an 8" x 8" baking pan and sprinkle with chocolate chips




 
5. Bake for 35-40-minutes, remove, let cool and serve!




 
Nutrition


So again, I always throw the ingredients in myfitness pal to see the calorie count / make-up of what I'm baking.

These squares turned out to be approx.

233-calories
23 g carbohydrates
9.5 g of fat [not so much saturated fats either :) ]  
3 g  protein
196 mg salt
2.5 g sugar [ <-- amazing ]

Points

  • The brownies are of a pretty thick serving and they're super filling
  • Next timeI might cut the apple sauce and use agave or stevia? Or I might just keep the apple sauce :) I just wanna cut back on the sugar I guess
  • Krisda semi sweet chocolate chips = amazing. I just wanted to dive into the bag
  • I think if you used plain greek yogurt in the mix, they'd be great too
  • I don't like beans, but I love these brownies (and I'm making another batch once this one is finished) .. so if you read the title and were automatically turned off .. think again!

If you'd like the original recipe, go here!

I recently starting reading happyyellowhouse [thanks, Sarah] and get this, the gal behind the blog lives dt! She's from Newfoundland and is a crazy foody with tons of recipes! You should definitely check her out.

And now my lunch break is over .. cheers, friends!

Hope you all had a deadly weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment