Monday, September 2, 2013

Labour Day Weekend in Gros Morne - Days 1/3

First I'll start by saying what a phenomenal weekend I'm having. Like so great! The weather isn't great but I'm not dwelling cause I just keep looking to the mountains and being all like "wow. I'm in Gros Morne!"

Food Preparation for Camping

Due to having a limiting diet, I really had to prep hard for this weekend. I took charge of the food prep for our adventures so packing Thursday night went as follows:


Homemade granola

Though it doesn't look it, I cooked and chopped up
9 huge chicken breast

Blueberry Protein Cookies

Fruits & Vegetables 


Complete Camping Grocery List

  • Activia yogurt + greek yogurt
  • bananas
  • grape fruit
  • oranges
  • apples
  • green peppers
  • vegetable tray (small one)
  • chicken breast
  • no bake protein bars 
  • granola
  • blueberry protein cookies
  • coconut oil 
  • almonds
  • cashews
I probably should have taken into consideration that my camping buddy and I have very different tastes in food (no pun intended - ha!) so on day 2 we made a little pit-stop to the market for:
  • sausages
  • eggs
  • bread
  • peanut butter
  • ham
(None of which I ate - high five!)

Packing up the Truck

So I would like to think I'm a pretty organized person, right? Well I made this huge list of all of the things I needed to pack but I had nothing on David's list. He is actually like man vs. wild! He had the trip planned and packed to a science. Some of the things he we brought were:

New 35-L Sack! Ahh .. loveeee

Amazingggg Trail Runners 

$139.99 .. Buy one, get one 50% off
Amazing grip and support 

6 Pairs - $9.99 - Costco
These socks have arch support and are super comfortable
for running and/or hiking

Paradox performance gear. $19.99 for the long sleeve and
$14.99 for the leggings. I have a couple sets of these and
tend to buy more every time Costco gets them in for the season

Camping utinsils. Atmosphere - $16.99

Water purification tabs. You simply drop a tab in unfiltered
water and drink away! 50 tabs for $10.99 at Atmosphere.
 Unsure about the price on the wilderness soap.

Head lamp and compass


Just throwing it out there that David was the one who dominated the preparation for this trip. I simply took care of the food and my attire :)


Hard at it :)


Day 1 - Friday, August 30, 2013 

We talked of leaving Thursday night but it was super late when we were all packed up we set the alarms for 4am on Friday .. which obviously had us on the road by 6:30am. Ugh. Worst. Buttt, it started out as a great drive. We made protein pancakes to get all prepared for a 7-hr drive and grabbed some coffees. It pretty much poured after the first 2-hrs so traffic was slower than usual (with good reason, obv). Regardless, we blasted metal, chatted about our planned adventures and had a deadly drive!

We had primarily planned on staying in Lomond but ended up just driving and exploring and thought we'd find something coastal. We stopped at the Visitor's Center and the helpful girl at the desk said that Green's Point was really popular because it was on the shoreline.

My sister and Adam were planning on heading out also but my iPhone died early in the drive and my
charger was packed away tight so meeting up with them wasn't on the radar. There is pretty much no cell phone reception out here (yes, I'm saying here because as  my camping buddy 'naps', I'm getting some quality blogging time in .. while I sip my Rockstar energy drink). Anyhow, while driving through Green's Point camp sites, David slowed down and said "Is that your sister?" ha, yes .. Sam and Adam had set up on the same grounds so we pitched our tent a few sites up. Like, c'mon .. coincidence? F, I love those scenarios! Pretty much made my night :)

Day 3 - Sunday, September , 2013

HAPPY LABOUR DAY WEEKEND, EVERYONE! Labour Day is actually my 2nd favourite holiday of the year. The 1st obbbviously being May 2-4! <3

So today we woke to drizzle and overcast. We had camped for two nights but were calling for 10mm of rain. Sam and Adam were planning on relocating so we decided to do the same. We were both extrememly sweaty and in deseperate need of a shower upon waking at 9am Sunday morning. We opted for a cabin for the night and what a great decision that was!

hot take-out date for the night! 

gorgeous cozy cabin



'I Hiked Gros Morne' stickers
Havin' a blog

We didn't do much on Sunday due to the weather so we decided to be lazy and watch videos at the cabin (Black Friday - Metal Mulisha video). We went out for supper (the lady wasn't a happy camper so we decided to get take-out) and then we drove around to scope out Norris Point. We inquired on kayak rentals (that tis the plan for Monday morning), drove around, took some pretty pictures and then headed to the Visitor's Center to pick up our 'I Hiked Gros Morne' stickers (something I was adement on buying when I saw them on Day 1)

Anyhow, you're probably wondering why I blogged about Day 1 and 3? Well Day 2 was hike day and that deserves a post or two of its own. The majority of the pictures are on the camera so I'll have a big update when I return home. I think it'll be an intense Starbucks date + Macbook kinda day - yayy!

Here's a sneak peak of some of the Gros Morne Mountain hike ...

Just breath taking

Most difficult part of the hike

Pal there trying to look like he was beat out after he practically jogged up the side
of the mountain. ugh.

Look at that view!!



So here I sit blogging while my buddy takes a well-deserved naparoo :)


My little blogging head quarters :)
hashtag - bloggyMcblogblog


I hope you all had a great Labour Day and I can't wait to update further on one of the best weekends of my summer :)

Enjoy, friends! 

No comments:

Post a Comment